Harvard Union.

THE REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE ON THE REVISION OF THE CONSTIUTION.

The meeting was called to order last evening by President Sanford, and a motion was immediately made to go into a committee of the whole house, for the purpose of discussing the report of the committee appointed at the last meeting to revise the constitution. Mr. G. P. F. Hobson, '86 was called to the chair.

The most important amendment proposed by the committee, was a change in the article relating to membership For some time past, there has been a desire among those most interested in the welfare of the Union to make membership mean more than it has in the past. At the present, any student of the university can become a member simply by signing the constitution and paying a small fee. The problem which the committee had before them was to restrict membership in some way, but at the same time to retain the so-called cosmopolitism of the society. The following article was proposed. and will come up at the next meeting for final decision:

"Article II. Any member of the university who shall have spoken in the debates of the society, and shall have been proposed by the executive committee, shall be eligible to election as a member. A four-fifths vote of the members present, taken by ballot, shall constitute an election. Upon the payment of an initiation fee of $1.00 and signing the constitution of the society, the person shall then become a member of the society."

The object and mode of procedure of the Union are in no way changed: the debates will continue to be open to the public, and every student will be at liberty to speak from the floor. Some minor changes were proposed, and at nine o'clock the meeting adjourned.