And yet it is a great pity that the college is so poor that it cannot afford to found a regular course whose aim should be to train men for journalism. None of the present English composition courses answer this need for special instruction. In effect, their purpose is to give literary finish by means of careful work, and criticism. While this sort of study is of course necessary to gain a power of clear and graceful composition, yet these courses do not afford any chance for rapid off-hand writing. The system of daily theme writing, instituted in one course, is an approach toward the proper cultivation of the ability to do off-hand work, but even this does not answer the purpose. It is only an attempt in the right direction; it lacks from necessity both method and direction. So far as the system of class themes goes, we believe it to be utterly worthless, either to make composition easier or better. The half-dozen themes ground out during the year, have about as much influence in raising the literary standard of the college, and in helping particular men to improve, as the Mathematical department, and perhaps even less.

In short, some such instruction as we ask, would have a definite effect toward elevating the literary tone of the college in no small degree. A man could then have a definite aim in writting: his only reward would not be a few cabalistic signs, and a small mark,-the usual result of the present system. He would be able to work to advantage, for he would be working intelligently. And we are strongly inclined to believe that there is not so much spare intelligence in the college that it can afford generously to throw away a possible chance to work intelligently.