Of the $600 required for the continuance of the Co-operative Society, $520 has been subscribed. Of this amount $50 comes from the fees of new members; the remaining $470 from the voluntary subscriptions of old members. This seems, on the face of it, to be a good showing. Only $80 remains to be collected, and, with the incentive which so small a deficiency holds out, no further trouble in completing the amount should, apparently, be apprehended. Unfortunately, however, the subscriptions have fallen off to next to nothing in the past few days. The college has either forgotten about the society, or else every one who intends to subscribe has already done so.

Eighty dollars must be raised before Monday next, or the society will that day cease to do business. There are three sources from which the money may come; from men who have not yet joined the society, from old members who have as yet subscribed nothing to the voluntary fund, and from old members who will increase their present subscriptions. These latter ought not, if there were any alternative, to be called on to contribute now. They have already given liberally; and there are others, probably, who will derive benefit from the society's continuance, who have not subscribed a cent. Nevertheless, it is not the time now to hesitate over such considerations as these. If there is any man who has not given to the limit of what he would pay rather than have the society go down, he should, without waiting to see what others will do, go to the society's rooms and complete his subscription.

As to the old members who have not already subscribed, nothing, probably, can be expected from them, except from those who have omitted to subscribe through negligence. Those who have intentionally given nothing have estimated, it is likely, the benefit which the society will be to them, and will not be induced to subscribe from unwillingness that the society should go to pieces. It is only from new members that substantial aid can be expected, (apart from the increase previous subscriptions). Of new members, a considerable number must join the society. It is the duty of every man, therefore, who has not joined, to consider at once whether the advantages of membership will not recompense him for his entrance fee. A man who will lose more than $1.50, and interest, during the coming half year, if the society does not exist to keep the prices of Cambridge tradesmen down, must plainly find it to his advantage to become a member.