It is with great pleasure that we call attention to an article in one of our columns taken from a Chicago paper. It is indeed flattering to have such homage part to Harvard students, and it may be the real feeling of many who profess to think otherwise. The young lady was evidently much surprised that she could travel alone out to the wilds of Chicago and Athol, and went prepared as some Europeans who expect to find Indians in Boston.

Yet we do think it true that the American man, not only the polished gentleman but the common American, is far more polite and considerate of the wants of the ladies than the Frenchman with his veneered polish of scrapes and bows, or the Englishman with his gruff indifference.

The young gentlemen were Chicagoans. Yet it does not follow that they, as a class, are more thoughtful of a lady's comfort-although many of them claim so-than the men of the east. Never-theless it is undoubtedly true, that ladies can travel alone better in the west than in the east, for as a far western said. "We have not that super-abundance of females as with you, therefore when they do come, they are regarded with more respect." We have always believed that ladies can travel alone anywhere in this country, with very little trouble or danger, and it is gratifying to meet one of the sex that says so.