The most important thing this fall, in an athletic point of view, is the football team. Although a number of men have been hard at work for more than a week, it is too early as yet to prophesy as to what sort of a team Harvard will have this year. Our poor success at foot-ball in the past has been explained in various ways, but the principal reason seems to be that the science of the game is better understood at Yale than elsewhere. There the team receives the benefit of an old experienced player who devotes the greater part of his time in the fall to the interest of the football men. The presence of a reliable coach of course relieves the captain of a large part of his responsibility and thus enables him to devote more time to playing and to the care of the men while on the field. Although much of this advantage is lost at Harvard, the energy and enterprise of the captain makes up in a great part for their misfortune. Another disadvantage which we labor under is the fact that Harvard begins later than either Princeton of Yale, and on that account loses some valuable practice. However, these disadvantages are but slight when met with a determination to do the best we can, and this determination, we are sure, every candidate for the team will feel. Nothing, however, makes the men play better and with more snap than the presence of a large audience. The college must do its part, as well as the candidates themselves. Every man who cares for the success of our foot-ball interests this fall must be present as regularly as possible on Jarvis Field and thus encourage the team in its work.