In past years the distribution of the elective pamphlets has been the signal of a series of complaints from the students that no aid was given them in selecting courses from the large number of electives, about many of which they know little or nothing. These complaints, as was natural, came chiefly from the freshman class, since they felt the need of this all important information more than the men who were in the upper classes. Yet, even the upper classes felt that no trouble was taken either by the professors or faculty to make their choice easier. We are glad to say that this unfortunate state of affairs no longer exists, and in all probability will never reappear. Both faculty and instructors have vied with each other in giving all the aid possible, both to new and old students. The instructors for their part, have kindly volunteered to see and talk with any of the men and give them the benefit of their experience and advice, while some few have, in one or two brief sentences, described to their division the various electives under their particular branch of learning, and showed the purpose and advantage of courses which a careless man might overlook or throw aside as too hard and abstract. The faculty, on the other hand, have gone to the expense and trouble of having descriptive pamphlets printed. These short descriptions may be obtained on application at the office, and fill a long felt want. Although the advice of an instructor is good, it is too apt to be prejudiced in favor of his own elective courses, and a student is often persuaded to elect a course, not from the feeling that it will do him the greatest good, but because it is conducted by his old professor. We believe the new pamphlets will correct this state of affairs, however, as they give a clear straightforward statement of the various courses and above all do not unduly influence the student. If it might be suggested that each instructor would give a short lecture on the electives under his charge, we believe that the aid offered the students with this addition would be nearly all that is possible. In such a case no instructor would over-influence his men, and the result would not only be with the trouble but would be thoroughly appreciated by the students.