In one respect at least, the failure to have the class races on Saturday will prove beneficial, and the old maxim, "Its an ill wind," etc., holds true, even in this instance. Hitherto, the referee has had to use a large tugboat from which to superintend the start and to follow the crews down the course. This has proved inconvenient in more ways than one, the crews have been unable to get very near the referee, and on such a large boat as a steam tug the officer in question cannot easily move around among the boats, but must lie moored at the pier until the race is started. In former years there has always been more or less complaint about both on the part of referees and crews. Yesterday's trouble was only a repetition of this old rule. Today, we hope, will see the remedy. The managers of the boat club have placed the university steam launch, the "'67," at the disposal of the referee, and a better understanding between that officer and the crews is likely to result.

Moreover, the signalling by means of a steam whistle having proved misleading, the start will be made as follows: The referee from the "'67" will call out the preparatory warning, "are you ready," and ypon receiving no answer, will fire a gun or pistol as the final signal. As this is a sound not likely to be misunderstood, an even start may be expected. Thus, little by little the necessary arrangements attendant on the class races are becoming perfected. A year or two ago the shells were started for the first time from boats moored in the stream. This made a correct alignment more sure and easier to accomplish than by the older method. Now, this year will see the referee steaming rapidly about in the nimble "'87," and consequently placed in a position to start the crews without resorting to the confusing steam whistle

The last Courant furnishes us much food for reflection. That our poor sheet should take up so much space in a Yale periodical is, of course, complimentary to us, but at the risk of being thought ungrateful, we timidly offer a few comments. The editorial on the freshman game redeems Yale from the charge that that college cannot produce anything humorous. We feel pained to learn that the "annual and alwaysto-be-expected streak of Harvard meanness" has again cropped out, especially as the News disapproves, and are really glad to hear that the Courant decides that Yale's claim in regard to the first freshman game is valid. Strange as it may seem, we do not recollect that "Yale has yielded more than once to equally foolish and unfair demands from her rival." We venture a smile at the Courant's sarcasm in urging Yale "to assert a little independence in these matters."

Truly the editorial in question is a masterpiece. The Courant beats about the bush in a most skilful manner as carefully refraining from arguments as our other Yale contemporary, the News. As the editors of the Courant are so anxious to defend the Yale daily, perhaps they would like to furnish us with some replies to a few letters we published some days ago, particularly for the benefit of our Yale friends.