COMMUNICATIONS.

We invite all members of the university to contribute to our columns, but we do not hold ourselves responsible for any sentiments advanced in communications. Anonymous contributions will not be accepted.

EDITORS HERALD-CRIMSON:- It is to be regretted, that the sophomore crew found it necessary to follow the bad example of the seniors of rowing twice a day. In self defence, the junior and freshmen crews will soon be forced to do likewise, and thus a foolish custom will be established. Rowing men will be obliged to neglect all studies during a month before the class races. Heretofore, rowing but once a day, it has been found more difficult for an oarsman to keep his place in his class than in his boat. When two rows a pay are taken, all study becomes an impossibility. Even if a man has a few hours for work in the evening, all his energy has been used up at the oar. To what purpose, then, is this excessive rowing? All the crews when rowing twice a day. will be on the same footing as before. The number of available candidates for the crews will be diminished. In fact, several men have decided not to row next year, if this custom becomes fixed. Would it not be possible for the four captains to make an agreement to row but once a day? It has been claimed by the students that they can manage athletics without the interference of the faculty. Here is a splendid opportunity to prove it. If some action is not immediately taken by the students, we may, at any moment, be put under another interdict by the faculty, in which the majority of students would probably concur.

R.