The Acta Columbiana proposes that Harvard's two intercollegiate boat races be merged into a Yale-Columbia-Harvard race. We desire to see cordial relations established between Columbia and Harvard, and, if weighty reasons did not interfere, would gladly oblige Columbia by urging a favorable consideration of her proposal. We admit the force of the reasons urged by the Columbiana in favor of the project, that great interest in the event would be aroused and that there would be greater honor for the victors of this race. Nevertheless, there are other considerations which must not be over-looked.

It is only nine years ago that Yale and Harvard found it necessary to withdraw from the Intercollegiate Rowing Association, which was composed of thirteen colleges and held annual regattas at Saratoga. The association grew unwieldy; the smaller colleges refused to consent to either eight oared or six oared crews with coxswains, on the ground of expense. Nevertheless, the year before, in the six oared regatta without coxswains, Harvard and Yale had fouled each other, and, in consequence, both were beaten. On this account Yale withdrew from the association, but also for another reason. In '59, in '64, '71 and '75, Yale had expressed her desire to row Harvard alone, "because she had no rivalry with the other colleges, and no great desire to defeat them." We think that Yale still maintains the same attitude. Harvard withdrew from the association, because she thought that a fair race could not be rowed under its supervision and did not wish again to endanger her chances by a foul. Harvard then agreed to row Yale at New London a straightaway race in eights; and later, to row with Columbia under the same conditions. Now, if the two races are merged into one, another intercollegiate association will be formed, and immediately the University of Pennsylvania, Cornell, and other colleges, will demand admittance. It is only last year that the Univ. of Penn showed a great desire to row Yale and Harvard, and when no arrangements could be made claimed the championship.

Furthermore, we are assured by our oarsmen, that a straight course is essential to a fair race between eights and that the course at New London is not broad enough to allow more than two. crews to row a straight course. If three crews started off together, a crooked course, according to the bends of the river, would have to be followed. Such a course, on account of the current in the middle of the river, would be manifestly unfair to the outside boats. Eel grass would then justly serve as an excuse for the defeated crews. Moreover, the trouble involved in getting a fair race between two eights at New London is so great, that any increase in the number of the crews must eventually lead to the adoption of another course. Such a change is inadvisable, as all the crews now have regular quarters at New London.

In consequence of these considerations, we must pronounce the proposa of the Columbiana undesirable and impracticable.