Foot Ball.

HARVARD, 51L TUFTS, O.

The game between Tufts and Harvard was called at 3.30, promptly, Yesterday afternoon. About 200 spectators lined the sides of the field, and as many more witnessed the game from various coins of vantage outside the fence. Harvard won the toss and chose the west end of the grounds. Neither side was favored by the wind. as the slight breeze was of no consequence in affecting the play. The first point was gained from a touchdown by Hurd. from which Bemis kicked a goal. Sharp play by our men then got the ball down to the Tufts' 20 yard line, when Phillips rushed it over the line in fine form, and secured a second touchdown. from which Bemis kicked another beautiful goal. After a short time spent in scrimmages near the centre of the field Simpkins was hurt and forced to retire, his place in the rush line being taken by Phinney. Neat passing by Phillips, with a strong rush by Hurd gave us our third touchdown, but no goal was kicked, as in placing the ball for the try at goal it was allowed to touch the ground, and was seized by a Tufts man before our men really were aware of what was being done. In a few minutes after this mis-play, Willard secured the ball on the 30-yard line and tried for a goal from the field, missing by only a few feet. Shortly afterwards Willard got a heavy throw, and his place at halfback was taken by Holden. The next points scored by our eleven were made on a touchdown secured by Hurd, who caught the ball as it was being passed by the Tufts' quarter-back to a half-back. From this touchdown a good goal was kicked by Kimball. In a very few moments Thayer made the fifth touchdown for Harvard, from which a good goal was kicked by Bemis. Willard had now recovered from his shaking up, and again resumed his position at halfback, where he got possession of the ball and kicked a beautiful goal from the field, standing at the 30-yard line. Nothing further of note was done by either side in this three-quarters, and time was called with the score 33 to 0 in our favor.

The second three-quarters opened well for our side, Bemis scoring a touchdown after a good rush, from which he kicked a goal. After this play the Tufts eleven rushed the ball down to dangerous proximity to our goal. But it was soon returned by a fine rush by Brooks and a long punt by Kimball. Our men had the ball down on the 5-yard line directly in front of their opponents' goal, when it was unluckily passed ahead and thus feel into the hands of Tufts. Bemis soon afterwards secured it, and made a very close try for a goal from the field, barely missing the posts Homaus got injured at this point and his place was takne by Simpkins. A poor throw by Tufts put the ball into Phillips' possession, and he rushed it over the line. From the touchdown thus obtained, however, Bemis failed to score a goal. Within a short time Tufts made a touch in goal, and shortly afterwards was compelled to make a safety touchback. The next few minutes were signalized by neat passing between Bemis and Phillips, and then Kimball secured the ball and made a fine rush: he was thrown, however; receiving a terrific fall, which at first seemed as if it must disable him altogether, but he pluckily resumed his place after a few minutes. It was now very dark, but Hurd, after a magnificent rush, succeeded in gaining another touchdown, from which Bemis kicked the final goal. This closed the game, with the score standing 51 to 0, against Tufts.

The opposing teams were made up as follows:

Tufts: Rushers, Griswold, (Captain,) Newbrey, Snow, Eveleth, Emms, Chapman, Hersey; quarterbacks, Decosta; halfbacks, Bayley, Gallately; fullback, Stone.

Harvards: Rushers, Simpkins, Homans, Thayer, Phillips, Keith, Brooks, Hurd; quarterback, Bemis; halfbacks, Willard, Kimball; fullback, Peabody.

Umpires:- For Tufts, Mr. Huntress; for Harvard, Mr. Adams, '86. Referee, Mr. Cabot,'83.

The Tufts eleven were very much inferior in weight to our team, but their work was very fair, and their tackling was really good. Our eleven must drop on the ball more fearlessly, and must display more headwork in their play. For so unimportant a game, the play was unusually rough on both sides. Altogether too much time was wasted on either side by orations for the benefit of the referee.

HARVARD FRESHMEN, 12; BOSTON LATIN, O.

The freshmen yesterday played their fourth game, with a team from the Boston Latin and High Schools, on Cambridge Common. The game was called at 4 P. M., and the ball went into Harvard's twenty-five yard line by poor plays of the rushers. Porter finally secured it and made a fine rush into the Latin School's territory. In a few minutes he again secured the ball and made a touchdown, from which he kicked a goal. The ball resumed its old position in the Latin School's end, and was soon forced over the line where Nonle touched it down. The rest of the game was wretched, except when Purdon, by a good rush, forced a safety. Our rushers throughout, with the exception of Woodman, Hopkins and Purdon, played a very loose game. They must break and back through better; and above all, they must play an aggressive game. With a weak team opposing they ought to run the score up into the fifties. Another fault is high tackling, which is almost universal. Hopkins tackles beautifully, and it is to be hoped that the rest will copy him.

For the visitors, Evans, Dearborn, and Wells did most of the playing. Following are the teams: Harvard, Rushers, Bancroft, Purdon, Jones, Churchiil, Woodman, Balch, Hopkins; quarterback, Osgood; halfbacks, Reynolds and Porter; fullback, Noble. Latin School, rushers, Dearborn, Herrick, Craigin, Devereaux, Singleton, Scudder, Brooks; quarterback. Evans; half-backs, Goodwin, (Capt.), Wells; back, Cobb; umpire for Harvard, Mr. Fisher, '87; for B. L. S., Mr. Sawyer of the English High. Referee, Mr. Tilton, '87.