Harvard Union Debate.

At the meeting on Wednesday evening the Union was called to order at 7.49 P. M. with President Halbert in the chair. Sever 11 was filled long before the speakers took the floor, and great interest was manifested throughout the evening. The question before the house was: "Resolved, That the best interests of the country demand the success of the Democratic party in the coming presidential election. A secret ballot on the merits of the question resulted in a vote of, off., 77; neg.,113.

The principal disputants were off., Messrs. Sewall, L. S., and Hansen, '85; neg., Saunders, L. S., and E. T. Sandford, '85. Mr. Sewall upon taking the floor was greeted with prolonged and vigorous applause. He delivered a most caustic review of Mr. Blaine's public career, being frequently interrupted by applause. Mr. Sewall was followed by Mr. Sannders, who, upon arising was saluted with thunders of applause. The speaker, in the most able argument of the evening, compared the records of the two parties and assailed the claims of the Democratic party to a reform policy. Mr. Hansen and Mr. Sanford both spoke with great force and pretinancy.

Upon the debate being thrown open to the house there spoke from the floor Messrs. Jennings, Hibbard, Fraser, Roundy, Carrier, Davis, Hobson, C. H. Strong, Garrison, Mahany, Platt, Sawyer, Webster, Bowen, Page, McAffee, Richardson, Chenoworth, Root, Robinson. The ballot on the debate of the principal disputants resulted in a vote of affair., 35; neg., 101. That of the debate as a whole, aft., 20; neg., 38,

While the heat of debater may condone many violences of expression, the exhibition of ungentlemanly language and unnecessary virulemen on Wednesday evening, deserves the highest censure. Intense interest was manifested in the remarks of each speaker who gained the floor, and it was not until a late hour that the meeting was adjourned. The debate was the longest and most successful in the history of the Union.