Ever since the Christmas holidays several rumors have been afloat concerning the disregard of training rules practised by some of the members of the freshman crew. Instead of decreasing, as time goes on these reports seem to be multiplied, showing that the non-training members are not settling down to hard work as they should. We are satisfied that these stories have some foundation, although they may be, and we hope they are, exaggerated.

It is clearly the duty of every candidate for the crew, no matter how strong he may be, to observe strictly all the rules of training. By doing otherwise he acts unjustly, not only towards his fellow candidates, but also towards his class at large, who are supporting him in his position with the tacit understanding that he is doing his best for their interests.

It will never do for freshmen oarsmen to put off going into strict training until late in the year; not only do they injure their effectiveness while not in training, but they are also apt not to begin training at all, continuing their irregular habits up to the very day of the race.

The members of the '86 crew should be made to feel their importance to Harvard rowing interests. We expect them to excel the usual freshman record in May, and we hope to see them victorious in their inter-collegiate race. Again, it is to our present freshman crew that we must look for men to fill places in the university, which will soon be vacated by members of the present junior and senior classes. Eighty-six has the right material in her crew, but the members must remember that muscle will avail nothing unless accompanied by strict training.