FACT AND RUMOR.

The catalogue is now ready.

The oldest university student in Berlin, and probably in the world, is sixty-nine years of age.

A convention of the Inter-collegiate Foot-ball Association will be held in New York next week.

The freshman class in the school of Veterinary Science at Harvard numbers nine students at present.

A scholarship in one of the Paris schools has been placed in the hands of our faculty. This scholarship exempts the holder from tuition fees.

Students at Williams who wish to play foot-ball must obtain written permission from their parents, the faculty being unwilling to incur the responsibility for accidents.

Every young man in France must have a college education, or be able to pass a certain examination unless he wishes to serve five years in the army. [Ex.

The citizens in the vicinity of the California State University threaten to organize a vigilance committee to exterminate hazing, unless the faculty attend to the matter.

It it stated that a female seminary after the plan of Vassar will be erected at Los Angelos, Cal., at a cost of $200,000.

Twenty-three men have joined the Harvard Total Abstinence League within the past four days, thirteen from '86, six from '87, one from '84, and three special students.

There will probably be an examination in sophomore thetoric on Wednesday, Dec. 5, for all the sections excepting section 1. Those members of section 1 who were unable to take the former examination will be allowed to try this one.

The second eight of the Pi Eta are Jackson, Gorham, Boyden, Dwight, Fisk, Presbrey, Holden and Read.

The freshman eleven defeated a picked eleven yesterday morning on Jarvis by a score of 32 to 0. The playing for the freshmen was done by Tilton and Willard.

Several members of the shooting club practiced at Walnut Hill on Thanksgiving day. The three best scores at 200 yards were made by Frye A. Faulkner, and J. C. Faulkner.

New York has started a "Country Club." It will be situated at New Rochelle.

"It is thought that in order to retain Harvard in the association it will be necessary to draw up a new set of rules though the general rules of the game will be unchanged. This matter will come up before the convention." [Yale News.

The London Times says : "We have Wilkie Collins for plots, Mr. Black for sunsets, Mr. Howells and Mr. James for unrivalled painters in miniature, and Ouida for emotions, but we have not a novelist equal to those of the days of Thackeray and George Eliot.

A letter in the Cornell Sun, thus comments on Lacrosse at Harvard. The only game that our lacrosse team has played was a defeat for us. But without doubt we shall continue to hold the first place in this as we have in previous years. The game is growing more and more in popularity here. It has paid its own way, and done the college credit.

A Harvard student tells a Boston journalist that he does not think it fair that the college should be censured for the occasional public disorder of some of the young fellows studying there. He states what is doubtless the fact, that there are only a few of the "men" given to this sort of thing, and that their conduct ought not to be made to reflect upon the entire university. And he has no little justice upon his side. The world is quick to adverse criticism upon people and things, but it is not always as prompt as it might be to render commendation where it is due. Still I do not see how Harvard can escape a scolding whenever any of its students get off upon a frolic. It is not impossible, also, as is charged, that it sometimes happens that Harvard is blamed for the doings of youths who have no connection with it. [Progress.