Harper's Weekly thus speaks of the Harvard Law School: "The friends of the Harvard Law School are moving to increase the endowment of that institution, and those who reside in New York make a strong appeal not only to Harvard graduates, but to the well-disposed munificent everywhere who know that one of the very best ways of giving is to strengthen strong and admirable institutions. Within a few years the Harvard Law School has striven with great success to raise the standard of professional education. But to do this effectively the force of teachers must be increased, while the income is diminished by strict examinations. The school now requires for admission, a college diploma as evidence of general mental discipline, or an examination; a three years course of study; a thorough examination to pass from year to year, and an equally stringent examination for the degree. This is the way to make a learned profession really learned; and as lawyers are often regarded as necessary evils (pace HOOKER), it is a matter of high public concern to render them as innocuous as possible. The immediate call is for the library. A good beginning is shown in securing $40,000 for its endowment, and a little effort and generosity upon the part of the sons of Harvard in New York, who know the value and economy of sound and ample legal learning, will soon make the library complete and independent."