EDITORS HARVARD HERALD: In a recent issue of the Herald there appeared a communication upon the freshman crew, seemingly from a too superficial observer from '85. While he may have noticed that the freshman crew is not what we all, both those on the crew and the classes in general, sincerely hope it were, still he seems to have rashly jumped at the cause of the crew's not meeting his ideal. He appears to have attributed it entirely to, as he says, "a spirit of indifference as to the welfare and success of the crew which has pervaded its members," and especially to a lack in the captain of certain necessary and estimable qualities, which we think he possesses. Had he observed more closely he would have found that efforts have been and are being made to induce men to try for any seat which may be bettered by a change, and that, whatever be the material in the class, the success of its crew, despite the captain, depends upon the willingness of the men to try for the seats. We think the crew should be commended for its condition after the reverses it has suffered, and "we kindly advise" the writer of the article to "wake up" (to use his own words), and to show his hearty interest in the crew in a way more effective than the one he has adopted.

M. R.