The revival of class races four years ago greatly intensified an already healthy and lasting interest in rowing. As a result, besides having a series of interesting and closely contested races, we have men continually in readiness to fill vacant places in the University crew, while the class boats take from the University captain much of the trouble of elementary coaching and training, and for a time relieve him of the care of his substitutes.

In view of these benefits which have arisen from the formation of class crews, why should we not make another effort in the same direction, and make our class base-ball nines live institutions, instead of dead formalities? Since class nines after freshman year are mere matters of fancy, many men whose freshman work promises well, are allowed to retire because they cannot get on to the 'Varsity at the beginning of sophomore year, whereas if they had the opportunity of practising on a class nine for another season or two, the junior or senior year might find them useful and efficient members of the university nine.

An effort, but a feeble one, was made this fall by the institution of a series of class games, but the result was more a farce than a benefit, owing to the exceedingly small amount of preparation made. We can see no reason why class nines can not be carried on in the same way as the class crews are, and even with more benefit to the 'Varsity; for ball playing depends more upon practice and skill than upon weight and muscle. Faithful work can do more for a ball player than for an oarsman, the latter depending more upon his natural physical gifts.

During the coming season, then, an earnest and decided move should be made toward the permanent and effective establishment of class nines. Our ball players ought not to shrink from the task because it requires a certain amount of time and trouble. If the rowing men in the classes are willing to undergo two months of monotonous gymnasium training, work on the river in all sorts of weather, and make other equally great sacrifices for the sake of their class and the prospects of the university crew, surely it is not asking too much of our base-ball players to expect them to be patriotic enough to give a few extra weeks of training in the spring, especially where they have a dry and comfortable place in the gymnasium to resort to in case of inclement weather.

We are depending too much upon our crew and lacrosse team for our victories; base-ball should again be brought to the front. Each year we see the championship snatched from us at the last moment owing to some unsteadiness arising from want of effectual practice, and from the absence of a spirit of confidence which can be acquired only by continua and spirited contests. Oftentimes our men do not seem to play to win, and become easily rattled. The cause is readily found in the spiritless practice and simple batting upon the field.

There being no local feeling of rivalry between class nines and players, we go into inter-collegiate contests without any preparation as to the matter of preserving steadiness at critical points, and probably at the outset a little afraid of our opponents, we do not possess that necessary determination to win, backed up by the confidence that our ability and skill deserve, a victory.

Our class nine captains should make the initial move individually. There is no reason why they cannot make a place on a class nine as honorable and desirable as a place on a crew. As some decisive step must be taken, and as this seems to be the only thing to be done, we hope to see, during the coming season, an earnest and united effort on the part of the leading men of the class nines to bring Harvard back to the commanding position which she held of old, and which so clearly belongs to her.