THE CLASS CREWS.

The fact that almost all of the class crew men have begun training in some form or another, shows that the classes are even at this early date beginning to think of next spring's race. Although but two of the four crews now have regular eights on the weights, most of the men of the other crews are at work either on the foot-ball field or in the gymnasium.

In looking over the preparations for the various crews, one is struck by the fact that unwonted energy is being expended to get the crews into good and effective form. The freshmen are working with a vigor and enthusiasm which has not been shown for years. In about a week they will be placed under the care of an efficient and experienced coach. This, coupled with the fact that they are unusually heavy, muscular men, will make them dangerous competitors in the race.

The sophomores will probably have but few of their last year's crew, but the new men have already begun to work on the weights, and have settled down into pretty good form. They will have the three stern men from last year's crew, which will make a good foundation upon which to make up the remainder of the crew from the new men. They have a very good stroke oar, who will be even better next spring after a few more months of experience.

The juniors will lose two of the best men of their last year's crew, one of whom will row in the 'Varsity, and the other of whom has left college. But if these vacancies can be filled satisfactorily they will have a strong crew, which another spring's experience ought to reduce into good form.

The senior crew will be crippled by the loss of one of its best men, who will be a candidate for the 'Varsity. With this exception there will probably be but little change in the make-up of the crew. Most of the men are taking exercise of some kind, and they be ready for river work without so much of the monotonous work on the weights as has been customary.

On the whole, every indication, speaking at a very early date, to be sure, points to a close and exciting race next spring. The seniors and juniors have an advantage in their experience, while the sophomores will depend upon their superiority in weight and what improvement in form hard work will make between the present time and May.

M.