The action of the faculty in establishing a new course in French (V.) is, we think, to be highly commended. There are many students in college who are unable or unwilling to give the amount of time required by any of the other French courses, and who do not wish to attempt to acquire a thorough knowledge of the language at Harvard, but rather choose to defer its completer acquisition to a later time. But many of these find it necessary in their other courses to obtain a working knowledge of French and ability to translate ordinary passages at sight. For the requirements of such, French V. is especially well suited. Unlike all the other French courses it will be conducted in English, will require no committing to memory, and will not undertake the study of French grammar or composition. But a sufficient amount of French will be read during the year to secure to those who take the course ability to read the French of such authors as Sand, Cherbuliez, Dumas, Hugo or Daudet with comparative ease. Little if any preparation will be required in the course, but a regular attendance will be required to secure any satisfactory results. The course is given this year merely as an experiment; if it prove ordinarily successful and useful it will probably be continued next year. It is to be hoped that those who desire to extend their knowledge of French beyond that required for admission and yet do not need more than has been described, will take the course this year, if only as an extra, in order that it may be placed upon a permanent basis.