LACROSSE.

There are several reasons why, at this particular time, the friends of lacrosse should bestir themselves. Yale, for the first time, is going to bring her team into the field this year. Princeton has already a strong team. Added to these is New York University and Columbia, and there is quite an array of rivals for Harvard to meet and conquer, if she wishes to retain her supremacy on the lacrosse field. Last year several of the best players left college. There remains, however, enough material for this year's team, but next year will be a doubtful time for our lacrosse prospects, if our forces are not recruited. '85 has supported lacrosse creditably. '86 has so far sent to the field but three men. More is demanded of her than this. We would offer to '86 the following suggestion : Why cannot she organize a class lacrosse team, to be supported by the class, and to furnish material for the 'Varsity team? At present lacrosse is on a doubtful footing in some respects. It should be put on the same footing as foot-ball and base-ball for it to become a permanent success. That is, the freshmen should have a lacrosse team just as they have their crew, their base-ball nine and foot-ball team. The growing interest in lacrosse throughout the country, and especially in the colleges and preparatory schools shows that the game is bound to take a place among college athletics. While, however, it is supported by the college at large, and not by the individual classes, the interest in it is not so keen. Lacrosse players should begin with the freshman team, and work along until they join the 'Varsity, thereby doing the requisite amount of practice for successful players. It may be asked, How will the freshman team get practice? In the first place, the 'Varsity team would be glad to have a regular team to practice with, instead of having to depend upon the "crowd," who sometimes come out in numbers, and sometimes do not come out at all. Besides, Exeter and Phillips-Andover have teams, and the freshmen could play several games with each school. Lacrosse has not heretofore solicited subscriptions from the college. There are many players who can afford their own sticks and uniforms, but who do not wish to pay their car-fare and hotel expenses when they go off to play. If the team is a college concern it should allow itself to be supported by the college. But the college is not going out of its way to subscribe to lacrosse, when the foot-ball and crew men have their ever present necessities. It will be of advantage to Harvard if she is represented at the games to be played at New York the last of this month. We hope that she will send down a strong team, and give them all the encouragement in her power.

R.