SPORTING COLUMN.

RULES BY WHICH THE CHALLENGE CUP OF THE INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION SHALL BE AWARDED.

RULE I. - This cup shall be awarded to that college of the Intercollegiate Athletic Association which shall be champion from one Field Meeting till the next.

RULE II. SEC. II. - That college shall be champion which shall win a plurality of first prizes.

SEC. 2. - In case of two or more colleges winning an equal number of first prizes, then of these colleges that one which shall have the greatest number of second prizes shall be champion.

SEC. 3. - In case of two or more colleges winning an equal number of first and an equal number of second prizes, then if one of these colleges shall have been champion for the previous year, that college shall continue to hold the championship and the cup for the ensuing year.

SEC. 4. - But in case that the champion of the previous year be not one of these colleges described under Sec. 2 and Sec. 3 of Rule II., and that two or more colleges shall win an equal number of first and an equal number of second prizes; then, for the ensuing year, the championship shall be held in abeyance, and merely the names of the colleges that make the tie, together with the date and place of performance, shall be inscribed on the cup, and the cup shall be kept for that year by the Executive Committee of the I. C. A. A.

RULE III. - In case at any time the I. C. A. A. should be disbanded, this cup shall become the personal property of the college whose name shall appear most frequently on the cup. But in case two or more colleges shall have been champions an equal number of times, and in case, also, their names shall appear on the cup in ties, then the cup shall be awarded to that college whose name appears most frequently in ties.

RULE IV. - First prizes in Rule II., et seq., shall be understood to mean events won; and in no case to be applied to the individual number of first prizes gained in any team competition, viz., as tug of war, which shall count as one prize.

RULE V. - All disputes with regard to the possession of the cup shall be referred to the Executive Committee of the I. C. A. A.

W. G. TWOMBLEY, Harvard, '79,W. BARCLAY PARSONS, Jr., Columbia, '79,Committee on the Cup.The Games of the Union Athletic Club at the Music Hall, on Wednesday evening last, were, on the whole, not so entertaining as their last year's meeting. The programme was too long, and the management inefficient, so that it was after one o'clock when the last contest ended. Messrs. Sayre and Baxter of the N. Y. A. C. (the former also of Columbia College Athletic Association) contested respectively the running high jump and pole vaulting, each securing an easy victory, Sayre clearing 5 feet 3 inches, and Baxter 9 feet. The tugs of war were interesting at first, but there were too many of them, and the spectators soon tired of them. The pulling of the Seventh Regiment, Company B, was, as usual, the most scientific of any of the teams, and they secured easy victories over the teams from the Boston Fusiliers and the Chelsea Rifles. The drill of the Providence Bicycle Club was most novel and pleasing; but the polo on skates was not amusing; nor was the tennis, which was played in a court much shorter than the regulation length, thus preventing any skilful plays, as the contestants had all been practising in courts of the usual dimensions. The conduct of the crowd in hissing the tug-of-war team from the Institute of Technology, which was pulling against the Jamaica Plain Boat Club Team, showed the kind and fair spirit in which a mixed Boston crowd is apt to look on students in general; and we were consequently sorry when the Jamaicas proved the winners, although they pulled in beautiful form. We hope the sports will be more entertaining next year.

Charles H. Cogswell (Dartmouth, '80) the Intercollegiate champion of 1879, at the 1-4 and 1-2 mile runs, has entered our Medical School, and will probably enter in both of the above distances at our Spring Sports in May.

The proceeds of the sports given in New York last week, to defray Myers's expenses to England, were $1,500. Merrill, the Boston walker, will probably accompany him.