THE growing tendency of showing one's approbation by immoderate applause, or his displeasure by hissing the actions of men in athletic contests, should be discouraged and frowned down, especially hissing, for if a man conducts himself in such an ungentlemanly manner as to arouse a feeling of disgust among the spectators, he shows only too plainly by such conduct that the hisses of the spectators will have little or no effect upon him; and one ungentlemanly act certainly does not deserve another. It seems to us that an excited crowd is often too apt to misinterpret the actions of men who are in the heat of a contest, and by thus evincing their displeasure, leave themselves open to unfavorable criticism, particularly when disagreeing with the decision of the judges. Every one must know that the time of these latter is very much occupied, and that their willingness to devote some of it to our athletic meetings is a favor to us. The decisions are given to the best of their ability; therefore one should be most careful in his comments upon them. In connection with this subject, as the base ball season is about to open, we would speak of the custom of applauding good batsmen when they step up to the bat. The majority of ball players, particularly amateurs, are apt to strike wildly and harder at a ball after applause, and are less sure of a safe hit. With a poor batsman it is somewhat disheartening to step up to the bat four or five times during a game amidst gloomy silence, when three or four men ahead of him have been loudly cheered. We hope that all will remember hereafter, and not be too hasty in expressing their likes and dislikes.