THOSE who have read the last annual report of the President will remember the recommendation contained there of establishing a system of promotion for instructors: a Tutor to be raised, after a certain time, to the rank of Assistant Professor; an Assistant Professor to the rank of Professor. The recommendation met with the approval of all friends of education. Only recently there was a chance of carrying out the President's plan. But carried out it was not. By some good fortune Harvard was enabled to establish a chair in Sanskrit, - a subject for the tuition of which little financial provision was made. One instructor was kind enough to teach Sanskrit during a long time for - nothing. The same gentleman has still the charge of the Sanskrit instruction. He has been a member of the Faculty for a number of years long enough to entitle him to a Professor's chair according to President Eliot's own scheme of promotion. And yet when the time came to have a Professor of Sanskrit that instructor was passed over and a young man called to take the place. Here was the opportunity of verifying the principles of promotion laid down in the President's report, an opportunity the like of which does not come, perhaps, more than once in twenty years. And that opportunity was neglected! Far be it from us to blame. The Corporation is composed of men whose judgment is far above the criticism of college students. But we cannot refrain from giving vent to a feeling of surprise which is wide-spread not only among students but also among many members of the Faculty and Cambridge society.