Poems, by STUART STERNE. F. B. Patterson, 32 Cedar Street, New York.

STUART STERNE is a new name in English literature, and is said to belong to a German lady, who has, if this be true, written in a foreign tongue poetry which is much above the average of English or American productions. Whatever her nationality may be, the name is evidently a nom de plume, for only a woman could possess such a perfect knowledge of the noblest and deepest emotions of a woman's heart. The book consists of a collection of short poems and sonnets, most of which are supposed to be uttered by a woman whose soul is stirred to its lowest depths by love for the man to whom they are addressed. And here the author's skill is most clearly shown; for by the passionate expressions of the woman, we are led to recognize the grand and noble character of the man she loves, and also to see how true the woman's nature must have been to enable her to cherish such feelings. We do not know which most to admire, her mournful, pathetic resignation when she is separated from him whom she worships with the whole strength of a noble soul, or her joy, ringing out in clear, true tones when all obstacles are removed, or when she thinks of the eternity to come in which the two souls so perfectly fitted for each other will be united.

We regret that young men so easily fall out of the habit of reading poetry, perhaps because it is often both tame and dull; if so, we can assure them that it is quite different with this book, for there is scarcely a line which does not seem to be filled with the natural outburst of a strong, enduring heart, the home of noble thoughts. We are sorry that the printer's work has been so badly done, for the numerous errors in that respect are sometimes serious obstacles to the pleasure of reading. The second edition should be more carefully prepared.