WHEN the College color was changed, the question at once arose as to whether this paper should shed the discarded Magenta, and don the more popular crimson. We announced in our last number that a decision would be speedily made, and the title at the head of the page indicates the nature of that decision.

The considerations that led us to this step are very patent. The magenta is not now, and, as was shown in the meeting, never has been, the right color of Harvard; accordingly the name, as applied to the paper, would be a mere vagary, or, worse, a solecism, in case another college should adopt magenta as its color. The general diffusion of the fact that crimson is Harvard's color will be somewhat difficult, and the difficulty would probably be increased if a paper existed at Harvard called the Magenta. The reasons that led the founders of the paper to choose Magenta as its name now dictate a change of that name to the Crimson. It was not the intrinsic value of the name, but its suggestiveness that recommended the Magenta, and so the paper was named, after the analogy of the Dark Blue, and other University papers. We believe that a title which at once localizes the paper among our exchanges as being issued at Harvard, and which calls up in the minds of undergraduates the entire body of interests of the University is most in consonance with the tendency and policy of the paper. Such a title the Crimson has now become. We change our name, therefore, that there may be no real change in our relations to the College, and, with a hope that this color may become a rallying word of victory before the summer is over, we present to our readers the first number of the Crimson.