FOOT-BALL.

THE HARVARD TEAM AT MONTREAL.

THE team left Boston on Thursday at 6 P. M., in a special car, and arrived at Montreal on Friday, after a very comfortable journey. The next morning was spent for the most part in making purchases; and after separating into parties, the different members of the team drove around to see the "sights," and were much entertained by the quaint costumes and buildings of this fine old city. In the afternoon they went to McGill College, where they practised for a short time in a scrub game with each other; all the men seemed to be in fine condition, and everything seemed to point to the conclusion that the game on the following day would be a remarkably close one. In the evening they were taken by the members of the Montreal team and their friends to the Metropolitan and City clubs, where they had been elected temporary members, and at each they were most kindly received; and here it may be as well to say that they were everywhere treated with that charming courtesy and old-time hospitality that belong so exclusively to the gentle-folk of good old England. The following morning the team and their friends were invited to be present at a fox-hunt at Outremont; accordingly they proceeded thither, and were treated to a spectacle not to be exceeded in interest even by the colored prints that adorn so many of our college rooms. The "meet" took place within the grounds of a gentleman's place, and nothing could be more picturesque than the sight of the large pack of hounds, and the "whip" in his red coat and top-boots riding around them, calling them all by name. By degrees the different gentlemen and ladies arrived, and before long one who had formerly been the master of the hounds, - a fine-looking old gentleman with snow-white hair and whiskers and ruddy cheeks. The "whip" sounded the horn, and the pack, followed by the riders, started for the woods; for a while they were lost to view, and nothing could be heard but the barking of the hounds in the distance; soon, however, the pack appeared at the top of a hill, and came rushing down, closely followed by the riders, who, after taking two fences, galloped across a field and disappeared again in the woods. After the hunt the team drove back to the city, and after lunching at the hotel had their pictures taken at Notman's, and then proceeded at once to the Montreal Cricket Grounds, where the match was played. The day was a beautiful one, and the grounds were crowded with spectators.

The game being called, Campbell of the Canadians led off with a long kick, and for the first few minutes the ball was kept dangerously near the Harvard goal; here a discussion of the rules took place, thereby delaying the game for some time. After this, the game was begun again, and this time the ball was driven down toward the Canada goal, Curtis making a very pretty pass to Seamans. A touch-down was then obtained by Leeds, but as the ball was brought by Cushing between the goal-posts, the goal was not allowed. This ended the first half-hour. The second half being begun, Littauer led off, and the ball was at once driven toward the Canada goal. Here a lively scrimmage took place at the mud-puddles, and Leeds succeeded in obtaining another touch-down. Seamans kicked the ball over the goal, making a beautiful diagonal kick. After this the ball was still kept at the Canada goal, both Leeds and Herrick obtaining touch-downs, neither of which, however, was allowed. This ended the second half-hour. In the third half the playing on both sides was almost perfect; for a long time neither seemed to be able to obtain the advantage, but finally the ball began to edge down toward the Canada goal, and Herrick, assisted by Curtis, obtained a touch-down. Leeds punted the ball out from the touch-line to Hall, who tried for a goal but failed to obtain it, he having punted the ball over instead of kicking it. In this inning Wetherbee and Cate made some fine runs, and there was some pretty dodging by Grant. About two minutes before the end of the half-hour, Leeds made a long run, and succeeded in passing the ball to Curtis, who obtained a touch-down between the goal-posts. Seamans kicked the ball over the goal.

This ended the game, Harvard winning by two goals and two touch-downs, Canada having obtained nothing. On the Canada side the best plays were made by Price, of Quebec, and by McLaren, Wilmot, Taylor, Campbell, and Thomas, of Montreal. On the Harvard side the most brilliant plays were made by Leeds, Herrick, and Wetherbee. Bacon and Cate made some long kicks, and Hall and Keyes proved themselves very effective in stopping and throwing their opponents. Messrs. Hare and Whiting acted respectively as umpires for Canada and Harvard; Mr. R. M. Esdaile was referee; Mr. Clouston acted as Captain for the Canada team, and Mr. Hall for the Harvard team. On Saturday evening the Harvard team and their friends were entertained at a dinner given at the Carlton Club, Mr. E. A. Whitehead, President of the Montreal Foot-Ball Club, presiding. Speeches were made, toasts were drunk, and songs were sung, until a late hour, when the party broke up, after singing "Auld Lang Syne." The team returned to Cambridge on Monday, with most enthusiastic accounts of their trip to Montreal.