THE special meeting of the Rowing Association of American Colleges passed off with an unusual degree of unanimity and good feeling between the colleges, but the results are not in all respects satisfactory to Harvard, nor what she believes to be for the best interests of college boating.

The decision in favor of Saratoga, if the stipulative conditions are agreed to, and also in favor of a buoyed course, will be satisfactory to us all; and we regard the substitution of the National American Regatta rules for the old Rowing Association rules as the most important and wisest action of the convention. The two most important changes involved in this substitution are the relegation of the charge of the whole race, from the time of its appointment, to the referee, and the provision whereby every boat leaves its water at its own pier, so that washing is done away with. The practical nullification of the action of the convention in favor of coxswains, by the proposition of Yale to allow colleges a free choice in the matter, we regret extremely, particularly as the deciding vote of the presiding officer seems to us, by giving two votes to one college, to have been unfair. Harvard, on general principles, was opposed to the admission of new colleges, but special considerations in favor of Union induced her to change her vote, and Hamilton was admitted by another deciding vote of the chair.