‘Class of ’07’ Review: A Class Reunion Turned ‘Survivor’ Episode

{shortcode-073dee65232dee7880b435b9c9f3375f712ef651}

Minor spoilers for “Class of ’07” ahead.

Amazon Prime Video’s new show “Class of ’07” will make one fear going to their high school reunion in an unbelievably engaging way. This reunion of an all-girls high school starts off dramatic and silly, then dives deeper into the past secrets of the alumnae main cast. Eight episodes, each averaging a half-an-hour, take viewers on a wild ride with a delightfully chaotic plot.

The season takes the format of present dialogue between the classmates and then flashbacks that tie back into the conversations they had in their youth. This angle highlights the characters’ processes of introspection, as the storyline becomes continuously more complicated and the women become more disconnected from their current realities.

The show starts as Zoe (Emily Browning), who is having quite a rough time after a dating show based in Australia, stumbles into her high school reunion very underdressed. She warns others about some dangerous weather approaching their island-based high school, but she is seen as the embodiment of The Boy Who Cried Wolf. After this, the whole atmosphere of the show takes a sharp turn foreshadowing the chaos that is about to unfold.

After disaster strikes and the former classmates are stranded on the island at their former alma mater, the group is both literally and figuratively lost. Naturally, a leader is picked, Saskia (Caitlin Stasey), who organizes the masses temporarily, but she quickly implodes and is set to a “trial.” Saskia is not a very likable character, but she is quite dynamic and drives the plot forward. Her manipulative tendencies that are later then exposed, add some complexity to her leadership style and the interpersonal conflict between the stranded girls.

Another important plot point intertwined with the relationships between the girls surrounds why Amelia (Megan Smart) left school early. Zoe, her former best friend, holds Amelia’s hasty exit against her without knowing why she left, or about her current struggles with mental health. Once the truth comes out, Amelia’s past need for pills resurfaces throughout the prior episodes, as well as her going off the grid during high school.

This isn’t the only shocking example of truths that came out while the Class of ’07 is stranded on the island: The disappearance of one of their former classmates on the island is brought into question, and Saskia’s secret traumatizing high school relationship is revealed.

This plot twist quickly pivots the show into a more serious tone as the alumnae digest their high school pasts and become more honest with each other than they ever were before. But this newfound connection isn’t enough to create a warm and fuzzy ending.

Although the show is strong overall, it would be made better with more background information on the characters, which would promote more emphasis on character development. If viewers were able to better know — and therefore care more — about the main cast, this would create more engagement with the plot, rather than the entertainment factor coming from pure drama and plot twists. Relying on just the complexities within a storyline keeps viewers hooked for the time they’re watching the show, but it doesn’t make the details of it very memorable.

“Class of ’07” would be an ideal show for anyone looking for a combination of humor, complex interpersonal relationships with unfinished business, and consistent unpredictability of the plot. One can watch ready to play detective, be slightly confused at times, and to periodically remind themself this was supposed to be a high school reunion. However, it is worth noting that this show does explore many sensitive topics and is quite dark at moments.

—Staff writer Hailey E. Krasnikov can be reached at hailey.krasnikov@thecrimson.com