Sports

A good number of college and professional sports events will keep devotees hopping this weekend. On the collegiate scene, Harvard's

A good number of college and professional sports events will keep devotees hopping this weekend.

On the collegiate scene, Harvard's undefeated football team takes on cross-town rival B.U. on Saturday at Soldiers Field. Game time will be 1:30.

The Terriers ambushed a heavily favored Crimson team last season, scoring a touchdown in the final seconds to eke out a surprising 13-9 victory. And since Harvard coach Joe Restic and the Crimson team will be guarding against a similar occurrence while seeking some revenge, things could get interesting.

Harvard will be led once again by this week's ECAC player of the week, quarterback Jim Kubacki, who rushed for 149 yards in last week's victory over UMass.

Other than that contest, Harvard's sports schedule is light, though the varsity soccer team will participate in a semi-exhibition game against Alumni on Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m. on the field next to the Stadium.

Radcliffe's field hockey team will be facing off against Bates at Soldiers Field on Saturday at 10:00 a.m., and the 'Cliffe tennis team will take on the Bates netwomen at 10:30 a.m.

On the professional side, the Red Sox and Patriots will both be in town, one to finish off a dismal year while the other tries to continue an amazing string of successes.

The disappointing Red Sox close out the season with a series against the second-place Baltimore Orioles. The Sox have only the .500 mark to shoot for against the visitors, in a series that promised to be a pennant-deciding affair a few months ago.

On the brighter side, the incredible Patriots will be trying to make it three straight against powerhouse opponents when they take on the Oakland Raiders on Sunday afternoon at home. Fresh from upsets of the Miami Dolphins and the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, the Pats should be able to give the tough Raiders a good run for their money. And the fans a good show for theirs.