{shortcode-866b48c1f377ad616bf107e9de3b5df165948320}Love it

Convenience, speed, and cost-effectiveness. I am obsessed with Blank Street's caffeine and business model. I never have to wait more than 5 minutes for my order, even on the busiest weekdays, and I am always greeted with a kind smile by the baristas.

Why do the baristas know my name, you may ask? Because I am constantly in and out of their shop, getting the most out of my subscription. It eliminates my need to decide if I want to spend five dollars on coffee that day because I already paid for my consumption of coffee that week, and by unit, each cup only costs me a little over a dollar. As an economics major, I can confirm that this is a good deal in the tragic economy we are all living in.

Also, paying a dollar per coffee means that I can justify trying new flavors I might not like. Although I love most of the flavors, the strawberry and cream iced latte is forever calling my name. This perk has also encouraged me to shift from my typical caffeine choices and try healthier options like tea or matcha.

Blank Street: please never close. I just won’t be able to get over you.

Hate it

Listen, when I say hate it, I don't actually hate Blank Street. I hate that I don't understand. I don't understand how almost every other week, I walk down Mass Ave and see a sign for a new promotion where I can get a coffee for a fraction of its normal price. I don't understand how almost all of my peers can pay $20 upfront and get practically as much coffee as they want for the week. How do you do it, Blank Street? What are you hiding?

I do pop into Blank Street every once in a while to try the new seasonal flavors, I must admit. I am not above the fun flavors that they promote; I too, am interested in what watermelon matcha would taste like. But whenever I tap my card, I just feel skeptical. With all of these promotions, they’re obviously doing well enough not to need my money. Blank Street, where does it go?

Maybe I am the one funding those “unlimited” coffees, or maybe there is more to the story. Or maybe I’m thinking too deeply about something that doesn’t matter. Either way, I don’t care. Coffee shouldn’t make me think this hard.

Blank Street: You keep me on my toes. Let me off of them.