The Crimson Playgoer

"Roberta" Minus Lyda Roberti But With Jerome Kern Music Still Intact Opens In Boston

It is the delightful music of Jerome Kern that makes "Roberta" the pleasant musical comedy that it is. Although the strains of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" may be rather tiring to some by this time, the score remains entirely satisfying even without benefit of the complete freshness which it had several months ago.

"Roberta" has the unusual distinction of having the feminine leads quite the most interesting. Fay Templeton, during her lone scene in the first act, holds majestic sway over all the proceedings. Odette Myrtil, in the part of the violently self-assertive star customer of Madame Roberta's couturier establishment, handles admirably her difficult task in replacing Lyda Robert. It is no easy trick to supplant the dynamic, hip-swinging Lyda in a typically Roberti role, but Odette Myrtil is really all that can be desired short of the genuine Miss Roberti herself. Tamara, in the role of Stephanie, the successor to Madame Roberta as the guiding light of the dressmaking business and the eventual heroine of the piece, is intriguingly pleasant. Our hero, an All-American fullback who becomes involved in dress-making is hardly more than an unavoidable cog in the necessary story, which is itself of very minor importance, since the story, too, is mainly important in forming a frame for the wholly enjoyable Kern melodies. But the story is inconspicuously pleasant as a setting for the music, and the general result, we repeat, is fine.