CRIMSON PLAYGOER

"SPITFIRE" -- University

"Spitfire" is all Katharine Hepburn and very little else. For those who worship the great Hepburn, this picture is very acceptable; but those who prefer a well rounded story with balanced presentation will be unsatisfied. Miss Hepburn, whose Hollywood career has been what they call "dynamic," finds a role that is still different from any of her others in the rustic lass of the Tonnessee mountains, who merits the name "Trigger" and the picture's title, "Spitfire."

The story, which starts off with the promise of an indictment of hill-billy superstition, soon becomes the Hepburn, the whole Hepburn, and nothing but the Hepburn. Lula Vollmer, who has written several plays of the backwoods, sees her story completely appropriated by the clever actress who, we hear, is aiming at a Hollywood greatness that will rival Garbo's. The character players who make up the local color are taken from Miss Vollmer's radio sketch of the Tennessee mountains, "Moonshine and Honeysuckle," and are used only as folls for Miss Hepburn. Ralph Bellamy and Robert Young, young engineers who invade the backwoods to build a dam, offer complications which are not very important, except as they create dramatic situations for Katharine. As for Miss Hepburn's complete domination of the picture, that is an open question. The cinema magnates have probably found that the public wants unadulterated . . . Hepburn. Broadway thought differently when it gave Jed Harris's play. "The Lake," no warm reception this winter because it seemed to be too much Hepburn. And our heroine really is a fine actress if she is used correctly.

In "I Like It That Way," Gloria Stuart, who just lay around on couches in Eddie Cantor's "Roman Scandals," suddenly comes to life and actually talks and sings. In fact she is a very agreeable person in another and unexpectedly good light musical, that also boasts of Roger Pryor, formerly of the legitimate stage. In addition, this picture also manages to provide numerous excuses for chorus girls in underwear--which is becoming too old a trick.