CRIMSON PLAYGOER

"What Every Woman Knows" a Fine and True Drama; Helen Hayes, Brian Aherne, Star

"What Every Woman Knows," is one of those movies that every woman (and man) ought to see. From the play of J. M. Barrie. Hollywood has, with unusually fine taste, brought forth a picture that troubles and embarrasses the spectator only because it is too human, because the pathos and humor strike so near home.

It is the story of an ambitious, serious, self-confident Scotsman--how he attains prominence by the unrecognized act of the woman he was forced to marry, how he leaves her for another, how he is made great against his own best efforts, and how, the truth at last being brought home to him, he returns to the woman he has left. Brian Aherne is fine throughout; Helen Hayes, tenderly sincere as the home body; Madge Evans adequate as the gilded temptress; the support excellent.

Many short features, worthless except for the newsreel, round out the program, and detract from the impression created by the feature. For the first time in many moons it was this reviewer's pleasure to hear an audience rise and cry out against one of those inane comedies that seem somehow always to amuse the girl behind you.

Perhaps the most burningly vivid and terrible newsreel ever filmed, the assassination of King Alexander, and of Barthou, and the subsequent lynching of the assassin, recreates in full on the screen the tragedy of Marseilles. No one should miss seeing this.