Communication

"Wild 'Fish Fang' Eskimos"

(The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expressed under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

"Wild 'Fish Fang' Eskimos" says the Boston American, "abduct society girl"--a statement about as far from the truth as the headlines of that paper ever are. But apparently it merely relays the story from a London paper. The report is an elaboration of the tragic disappearance of Miss Marguerite Lindsay, which occurred early in August this summer.

Miss Lindsay, a Grenfell Mission worker, was teaching school at Cartwright, Labrador, a village some fifty miles south of Indian Harbor, where I was spending the summer. Thus I happen to know the facts in the case. She left one morning, with her bathing suit, saying she would not be back for lunch. Not appearing at supper time she aroused the anxiety of the people with whom she was living, so a search was organized and continued through the night and several days thereafter with absolutely no success. From the physical features of the region thereabouts it was concluded that she must have fallen over some cliff and been drowned in one of the fast tidal currents that abound there.

The idea of abduction by a wild, wandering tribe of Eskimos is ridiculous. In the first place those Eskimos now left on the Labrador are as peaceful a race as can well be found anywhere. Secondly with the possible exception of the Hudson Straits region, some six hundred miles north of Cartwright, Labrador has no wandering tribes of Eskimos. Labrador Eskimos live in scattered villages along the coast, of which only some very small ones, few and far-between, are found nearer than a hundred and fifty miles to the North. In the third place, with the possible exception of this Northern Straits tribe, Eskimos do not live in the interior of Labrador, the purported home of the wild Fish Fang tribe; but stick close along the shore. In the fourth place the glorious name of Fish Fang may belong to some far northern or extinct tribe, but its application today to Labrador Eskimos is altogether doubtful.

By such elaborate fiction as this, the practically nonexistent dangers of working with the Grenfell Mission in Labrador are given forbidding importance; and it is to the end that some of these false notions may be dispelled that I submit this communication. EDWIN K. MERRILL '24 November 7, 1922.